Psychotherapy is a non-judgemental therapy used for helping people improve mental health and wellness. It improves emotions and behaviours linked with positive changes in the brain and body. People often seek psychotherapy when they have thoughts, feelings, moods and behaviours that are affecting relationships and their ability to enjoy life to the fullest.
Approx. 75 percent of people who enter psychotherapy show signs of benefit, which can be attributed to fewer sick days, decreased disability and medical problems and increased work satisfaction.
Registered Psychotherapists are regulated professionals who are qualified to perform the controlled act of psychotherapy while providing mental health services. In Ontario, they are registered with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario.
Psychotherapists work with individuals and couples with a wide variety of issues, including but not limited to:
- Relationship difficulties
- Medical illness or loss
- Trauma and abuse
- Self-esteem and empowerment
- Parenting challenges
- Adjustment to the changes that life brings
- Spirituality issues
Based on the types of issues and clients I work with as well as my expertise, I will normally use principles from one or more of the following modalities:
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Existential-Humanistic Therapy Emotion Focused Therapy Compassion Focused Therapy
- Client Centred Therapy
- When we discuss your treatment plan, I will present the types of approaches that I feel are most suitable based on your presenting circumstances. Therapy works best when it is collaborative at all stages, so you are always invited to address any concerns or questions you may have.
We are offering therapy online because it offers advantages in accessibility and affordability. If clients work unconventional hours, care for children, or don’t have access to reliable transportation, they can access therapy from wherever they are and save the commute. All they need is an internet connection and an area they can have privacy. More people are able to be helped using this delivery method.
While it is true some people are more comfortable with online therapy it is not for everyone. If you want to try but are not sure it is ok, even if you decide in the end it is not for you we will understand.